Sunday, August 23, 2009

Saison

Today was brew day. I didn't have exactly what I was looking for, so I modified my grain bill quite nicely. I used 12 pounds of Vienna malt as the base, 2 pounds Carapils, .5 pounds of Caravienne, .5 pounds Aromatic, .5 pounds Caramunich.
I mashed in 155 degrees, ph 5.0; added 3 tsp gypsum, 1 tsp amylase a-b.
At the start of the boil I added 1 ounce of Styrian bittering hops and stirred for what seemed to be forever. At 30 minutes, I added 1 pound of light Belgian candy, .5 ounces of sweet orange peel and 1 ounce Saaz flavoring hops and stirred some more. At 45 minutes I added some Irish moss, .5 ounces of sweet orange peel,.5 ounces of coriander seeds and sterilized my wort chiller for 10 minutes. At 60 minutes, I added the last ounce of Saaz hops and waited for 5 minutes before taking the kettle off the boil and into the kitchen where I chilled for about 25 minutes in ice and my cheap-o-matic wort chiller.
after siphoning the wort over to the fermenter, I aerated the wort for about 10 minutes before getting anxious and then added the White Lab Saison WLP-568 yeast and popping in the blow off tube.
I checked the SG and it was 1.082. I was only shooting for 1.068 to 1.072, but either I did better sparging this time, or I have a lot of unfermentable sugars in there. I guess I'll see in about 2 weeks exactly how strong this ale is going to be.

1 comment: