Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nameless IPA

Okay. I started out with 1.25 quarts water to 1 lbs grain ratio. I then sparged with 4 gallons for 35 minutes and decided to bump it up a gallon for about 45 minutes. I sparged the batch by taking my bottling bucket, connecting a tube and running it into a gallon jug with small holes poked in the bottom of it. I boiled the wort for about 80 minutes and added all hop additions according to schedule. I cooled the wort to about 82 degrees, transferred the wort to a 6 gallon better bottle, aerated, gave some yeast nutrients, and pitched the propagated yeast starter I made 3 days ago.
The SG was 1.060 and I expect this yeast to take it very low (like 1.005) and obtain a high gravity of around 7.9 percent to 8.3 percent.
This yeast is able to withstand 25% alcohol by volume, but you have to oxygenate a lot almost every day during the primary, and some nutrients should also be added. I only pitched the yeast about 30 minutes ago and I already have activity in the fermentation vessel

No comments:

Post a Comment