Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I Want to Try Something New

I'm still fairly new to the all-grain brewing, and even brewing in general, but I really enjoy drinking imperial stouts. They really give you a full all-around satisfied feeling when you drink them. I love the bitter coffee aroma and the dark chocolate aftertaste they give you as they warm your throat and stomach; I also don't mind the high ABV that accompanies them. So, I figured I would try to create one of my own.
This one's going to take a lot longer than the other ales I've brewed. From the time I dough in to happy hour, it will have been about 4 months according to what most recipes call for. I guess you can let it sit longer due to the high gravity of them. So, that means it has more sugar to start with and takes longer to ferment. I guess I'll be taking a lot of hydrometer readings.
I know a lot of people here swear Rogue Ales brews the best stout, but I think I would make something more like Old Rasputin. I love that ale. I'm planning on starting out with 15 lbs of 2-row, .75 pounds roast, 1 pound chocolate malt, .75 pounds black malt, 1 pound dark crystal, 1 oz Willamette at 90 minutes, 1 oz Cascade at 30 min, 1 oz Kent's at 15 minutes along with some gypsum, and Irish moss at 15 minutes.
I'm open to suggestions if anybody has any!

No comments:

Post a Comment