Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bottling Day

Today was bottling day. I had cleaned all my bottles with StarSan and left them to drain for a couple hours. I cleaned all my siphoning gear and bottling bucked and prepared the fermenter to be drained.
I did something that was a little unorthodox, I guess, in that I first siphoned and used a strainer to get some little particles of hops, grain, apples and some clumped yeast. I guess this isn't recommended in that it causes some splash and oxygenates the beer. But, I did it anyway and had a jolly-ol'-time in doing so by holding the strainer as close to the top of the beer filling the bottling bucket.
I then took my sanitized bottles and filled them from the bottling bucket by attaching my auto siphon to a bottling wand. The bottling wand has a little valve that will trip when pressure is applied and will allow the beer to flow; the opposite for when pressure is released. This allows you to go from bottle to bottle with little to no spill.
I then took some Cooper's carbon tabs and placed one in each twelve ounce bottle and two in each twenty-two ounce bottle. I then took my bottle caps that had been sitting in some StarSan and used a capper to press each one on the tops of every bottle, set the full bottles in a box, placed the boxes in a cupboard and swore to forget about them for two weeks. That didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment